Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why Does the Run Stuff Sell Out So Fast on the US Side of the Website


I went looking for the new Senorita Pink Run: Energy Pullover on the US side of the Lululemon website and its already sold out, in all colors. They still have one size left on the Canadian site and they have sizes 8-10 in the black.  I've noticed that the Canadian site sellouts seems to lag the US in the run tops, especially the popular pullovers. I wonder why this is.  Is it because the US sees Lululemon more for technical, purely athletic wear (I know 98% of my purchases are for technical clothes) and the Canadians see Lululemon more as a all around apparel store. For instance, I think the hoodies and non-technical jackets sell out faster on the Canadian side of the website than the US.  Or is it that it's too cold to run outside in Canada right now? Or, is it just a matter of inventory? I'll say when I spot people wearing Lululemon around Southern California they are usually wearing technical pieces and look like they just came from the gym or studio. I think I've seen a Lululemon remix hoodie at Disneyland once. I dunno, but it's interesting how different items sell out at different rates on the two websites.

6 comments:

Kathryn Acreman said...

I am a canadian (calgary) that loves lulu. You are exactly right, Lulu is definately a status symbol in Canada. You go to a mall and it is full of remix hoodies and dressy lulu jackets. Any resturant is full of lulu pants on waitresses and I heard from my younger friends so are the bars. Most shoppers I don't think even have been in a gym. I am always suprised when I visit the US and very rarely see the symbol. I am always asked where I got mine, especially my Be still pants and my Lux hoodie. (These hoodies are impossible to get here) Kathyrn

Courtney Love said...

what is the Canadian site link?

Anonymous said...

I agree.. however, I love the Lulu run stuff cause I love to run. My favourite is the Run Spirit Pullover... I really want a pair of Windsprint pants but they are sold out on the Cdn. site. The US site has had them in the loot section for a month and no change to the inventory! I would love a pair. Where I live I've seen women just wearing them at the grocery store. Breaks my heart!

Anonymous said...

For starters, they have different inventory in the two countries, just as they have different warehouses for phone sales and internet sales.
And yes, it is cold in Canada right now...but we still run in this weather!
I wear my lulu to the grocery store too...I sometimes stop there...on my way home from the gym.
I love my lulu clothes and yes I even wear them when I am not working out, they are comfortable and make me happy!

Anonymous said...

I realize in hind sight I should have been clearer about my previous comment. With regard to distribution to the warehouses, stock is usually distributed based on previous sales, ie if 62% of run pullovers were sold in Canada, they would send at least that much to Cdn. warehouses. But we are all a fickle lot so you never know what we are going to like from one season to the next, plus some items are not suitable for certain climates. I remember you commenting that you did not buy an item b/c it was too warm for your warmer weather, same goes for us, it is hard to buy a top more suited for warm weather running when we are freezing our butts off! :o)

erica said...

i see a few girls at the mall wearing remix hoodies here in MA. i only wear my lulu to jog or do yoga at home. and no, it's definitely not too cold to go jogging, but you have to layer differently.

i saw plenty of sizes left in senorita at my lulu store, but i'm shopping for winter-appropriate tops.