Friday, February 19, 2010

Received My Biker Groove Shorts - Dimensions, Info, Impressions, Photos

Biker Groove Short

My Biker Groove Shorts came today. As indicated by the photo, they are pretty long. My size 12s have an inseam of 11.25".   The front rise is 9" and the back rise is 10".  I compared the Grooves to my Pearl Izumi and Descente road bike shorts which both have inseams of about 11" but with big butt pads so they ride higher on the leg. The opening at the knee narrows quite a bit to 7".  In contrast my Tall Boogie On shorts which have an inseam of 9.5" has an opening of 9.75." If I move up the Biker Grooves to the 9.5" inseam mark the leg opening is still only 8" so they are a snugger fitting short.  The Biker Groove Shorts have a 1.25" band of material at the leg opening. It seems like it is meant to be constrictive to help prevent riding up,  you can see this in the photo of the model on the Lululemon site - her leg is pinched in a bit. There is no gripper elastic on the inside. 
 Close Up of Knee Area on Biker Groove Short

 I won't be able to wear them to spin class for a couple of days but I laid (lay?) back on my bed and did bicycle motions and they seemed to stay in place well enough. They are certainly long and snug enough that I don't think riding up will be a problem.  The tag says they are reversible and the logo is in the same spot on both sides of the waistband. I'm 65" tall and they hit me right about mid knee when standing. I think I will like them. Of course, this length short is not the most visually flattering, particularly if you have short legs, but I bought these for function in my constant quest to stay cool in spin class.

I forgot to add the shorts are not padded. Terry makes a padded liner for those who want padding in a non-padded pant. I don't mind there is no padding. I hate the full diaper look of the pads, especially if I am lifting after class. If I'm out riding on the road pads are necessary but I think they are overkill for a 60 minute spin class.

Here are a couple of educator photos modeling the shorts.

To give you courage to go long, here's a photo of Jessica Biel rockin' a knee length look. I think these are the Run: Split Crop from last summer.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed review. It was exactly what I was looking for. Did you order your regular size in the biker groove short? I believe I ordered the last size 8 available on the Canadian side. They looked too tight to size down. I hope I got the right size.

LuluAddict said...

Yes, I ordered my normal size. I think they fit true to size like regular Groove pants and crops, especially through the waist/rear. The leg opening might be tighter at the knee than the same spot on Groove pants and crops, I didn't compare the shorts to the longer pants.

Anonymous said...

I so badly want these shorts but by the time I got on the website last night--gone! Do you know if the stores are going to get them in? Thanks--I love your blog and look at it daily :)

LuluAddict said...

One of the Canadian stores I'm a Facebook "fan" said they got them in. None of my other product alerts for this week put them in the email, though. They sold out so fast I would hope we'd see them in the stores, too. You might be able to score a return on the website, though, as people get them and then send them back.

Anonymous said...

I just received my biker shorts in static charcoal today. Love the feel of the fabric! They feel more like luxtreme to me than luon. Very comfortable. But the length is weird as they stop in the middle of my knee and definitely pinch my knees a bit because the opening is so tight. I wish they were either an inch longer or shorter so they wouldn't be as awkward. But I will keep them and try them out in spin class though, I think I will like the lightness of the fabric. Plus the length will ride up to right above the knee when I'm moving my legs. I did the running man test with them on and they seem to stay really well in place.

LuluAddict said...

@ Anon 11:56 - I agree, the Biker Groove shorts seem about 1.5-2" too long. I think Lululemon's base design is for tall women these days. I hesitate to get these shortened because the hem at the bottom looks special, not a typical fold-over sew-in-place type hem which is what I think the stores do. I once had my local store hem a pair of Be Still pants for me with the new wide 2" hem and specifically asked them to keep the wider hem, had them write it on the tag, and they still gave me the standard hem. I was kind of annoyed because the wide hem nice design touch. I'd hate for them to eff up these shorts and then not be able to get another pair. Like you, I suspect the shorts will sit above my knee when I'm on the bike.

Anonymous said...

Another photo of Biker Groove Shorts modeled by Newmarket's educators: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php pid=5343602&id=154559981070#!/photo.php?pid=5343605&id=154559981070&fbid=345962911070

Anonymous said...

Love the look of bike shorts .
What tank would you suggest with these shorts?

LuluAddict said...

@ Anon 9:28 - I think any top will look good with these shorts. I prefer the tanks made of the technical fabrics. For spin, I prefer the super lightweight ones such as the Cool Racerback (what I wore to class today) or the Run: Swiftly Racerback. I also like the Tri Ys if they have any in stock.

Anonymous said...

I received my black biker shorts today. I think I should have sized down. :( I'm right in between size 6 and 8 and it's so hard to tell when I buy online. The shorts feels a little loose around the waist, like, if I were to work up a sweat they might slip down. Unlike the other reviewer, the hem stopped right above my knee which was a surprise because I'm only 5'4" with most of my height coming from my long torso. Another indication that I should have sized down was that the the leg opening to the knee wasn't tight at all - just close to the skin. I'm going to bring them into a local store to ask for a second opinion and hope they have a size 6 left to exchange.

Anonymous said...

Lucky, lucky me. Someone returned a size 6 black biker short on the Canadian side. I just ordered them.