Friday, February 12, 2010

Slightly Off Topic - Social Networking is for 20 Year Olds and More Bagging on Lululemon's Website

 

Commenter Jilly (and suspected Lululemon employee) left such juicy comment bait that I have to briefly rebut. She tells us that the reason we see only very young faces on Lululemon's website and facebook pages is:

"The reason so many "20 year olds" are running the websites and facebook sites is because they have grown up in the social networking world. The newer generations for the most part are going to be more interested in facebook and the internet because they have grown up in it."




Three seconds of googling led me to these interesting facts about social networking and Facebook's userbase in particular, from a seven month old article -

"Facebook, simply put, is not a young site anymore. Most of the users (20.3 million, or 28.2% overall) on the site belong to the 35 – 54 age group. Compare that to the age group that was once Facebook’s bread and butter – the 18 – 24 group – which is now in third place with 18 million (25.1%) users, behind the 25 – 34 year old group, which makes for 25.2% of Facebook’s user base with 18.1 million users. The number of users aged 55 and over has grown from negligible 950,000 to 5.9 million in mere six months."

If Lululemon would poll the ages of the posters on their Facebook site, I think they would find the majority of women are in their late 20s through 30s and not a few in their 40s.  At least that's what I'd guess based on the profile photos of themselves (and their children - hint!).

I have to agree with another comment on the same thread, I really don't care for the Lululemon blog that much. Like the anonymous commenter mentioned, it's the same people pictured and it's often pretty dull. What I greatly enjoy reading about is the Ambassadors.  They are not super young but they are awesomely fit. I love reading what led them to become fitness professionals and find their stories very interesting. They should put the ambassador stories on the home page and can the blogs.

Oh yes, while I'm bashing the site, I think Lululemon should move the Fit Guru Review feedback  out of the feeback section. I find reading other's feeback the feeback valuable, but I treat the Lululemon feedback as a "plant" to rah-rah up whatever item is on sale and find it inauthentic. I much prefer to read how real people who paid full price for an item like and use their clothing. Lululemon clothing often receives positive reviews so I there is no need for them pad the feedback rating.  The Fit Guru photos can be useful so they should be featured separately from the feedback section.

I visited the store today and have some comments which I will make into a separate post.

11 comments:

Jilly said...

Just to be clear I didn't mean to say facebook was JUST for 20 years old. I just know that social networking is a huge huge part of the new and upcoming generations.

LuluAddict. I love your blog. I am actually part of the design feedback team at my store and I check your blog almost everyday for your new feedback. I just wanted to let you know that you are definitely being heard and the feedback that I get from your website is definitely being relayed to the design team in Vancouver, Canada. Thanks for your blog. It's great.

Anonymous said...

35-54 really? do you people have nothing better to do with your time than creep on facebook. If you are such a lulu addict then spend your time sweating in your clothes instead of glued to a computer screen.

when we are more accepting of others, we are better able to accept ourselves

LuluAddict said...

I've got an iPhone, I can surf the web on the elliptical. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, the acceptance of others is just radiating off that first anonymous poster...

oh wait, that's IRONY!

Anonymous said...

First anon poster- More proof that lulu is staffed by 20-something bimbos... I hope lulu fires your a$$ when they realize you spend your paid time insulting the customers that pay you meager salary, luluaddict blog is honest and usually dead on track.

pilatesmom said...

I would be curious to wonder the 10 year age range of lulu's core customer. My best guess would be somewhere early 30's to early 40's - that's from what I observe when I'm in my local store (or any of the other 3 metro area stores nearish me) I also observe this in the classes I take and teach. Also, at $100 for a pair of pants, $100+ for a hoodie and $50+ for a tank one needs to be at a certain wage earning level that often takes a few years to achieve (I have OFTEN seen young women in my lulu store with their parents and their parents are pulling out the credit card at checkout - nothing wrong with that but want to point out). I don't really follow the lulu blogs, probably because they don't much reflect me but I'd love to see some age diversity in their representation - or "real customer models" - have local stores submit snaps of some of their regular/fit customers rocking new styles with a quote from that customer (ie. "I love the rise of these pants and the fabric seems extra soft")people who are not paid to promote, people who want to promote because they are willing to pay for a great product.

buffy764 said...

In the stores I frequent most, the age is definitely 30s-40s. This could be skewed at bit because I tend to go during weekday mornings when the full time moms are out and about. However, I do go quite a bit on the weekends and it's not much different, particularly here in Orange County. The stores I go to are all in very upscale, super affluent areas - Newport Beach, Irvine, Manhattan Beach, and Santa Monica where you can't afford to live right out of college. The store educators are also in the mid-20s - 30s and sometimes 40s. From the photos I see on the web I suspect the US Lululemon customer is older than the Canadian one.

mollywaffles said...

26 here.
My local store, Princeton (also upscale, affluent area) has 20-30ish y.o. employees, and when I've seen customers there, they've looked anywhere from my age up into 40s, if I had to guess. Being right across the street from the University though, I'm sure there are plenty of wealthy college students making purchases there too.

I peek at the Lululemon blog occasionally, but I probably check out yours more often.

I agree about not including the employee reviews right up front for items. However, the additional pictures are fantastic - and those should be included for every item possible! It is so helpful to see an item from several angles and in various positions, in addition to the 3 standard pictures provided on the website.

On the subject of website reviews, it's annoying when comments are allowed to stay on the product page where someone is just asking "is this available in my size?" or "when will this become available in blue" followed up by a GEC response -- those are not reviews! Those questions have ratings attached to them that should not be as those people have not used the product. I thought all comments were moderated...

LuluAddict said...

@ Mollywaffles - I used to live in the Princeton area - East Windsor - back in the early 90s. My boyfriend and I would go to Winberies for dinner. I loved the fondue.

mollywaffles said...

What a coincidence! I've been to Winberies- their fondue is still really good.

I'm originally from Rochester, NY but we moved down here for my now-husband to go to grad school here. I actually work right next to East Windsor in Washington Twp (now called Robbinsville).

LuluAddict said...

@ Mollywaffles - Even more coincidence, I grew up in upstate NY, too - New Hartford, outside of Utica and went to Syracuse University.