Thursday, September 23, 2010

Product Twins? The Israel Connection.

Patagonia Barely Hipster



 Lululemon Technithong

Last week I posted an item about Patagonia technical underwear and noted the resemblance of the fabric to the older Lululemon mesh technikini. A couple of people commented that Lululemon gets their fabric from the same Israeli factory that Patagonia does. I was checking eBay last night (as I do every day) for new Lululemon items and noted an Israel-located Lululemon seller, Spacerosee, also had Patagonia items for sale. This confirms the comments that Lululemon and Patagonia make some items in the same factory. A little poking around the web led me to discover the Israeli company is called Tefron and is a leadeing manufacturer in engineered performance fabric. Patagonia and Lululemon receive prominent mention in their roster of customers, as do Nike, Reebok, and ski brand Spyder.

It looks like the Patagonia items from that factory are from the Active line -  bras, camis and underwear. It doesn't look like there is a Patagonia equivalent of the Swiftly tees. I was poking around the Nike website trying to pick out items that look like they are made from knit fabric but it's tough to tell from the photos on the web. I think some of the Nike Pro stuff might be made from that factory. I haven't bought Nike in ages so I'll have to visit a Nike store and feel around. If anyone knows of any items by other manufacturers that might be similar to Lululemon's I'd be interested.

Nike Pro Fitted Women's Shirt ($30)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have both the Patagonia briefs and a few things from the Nike Pro line. They are both seamless,soft, breathable and super comfy, but the Pro-line can vary somewhat in the finish of the material. I have Nike Pro-line stuff from 4 years ago that has a glossy sheen to it and then I have more recent stuff that is more muted and fits like Lulu's Swifty Tech Tee. All of it I purchased in stores and NOT from the website, as it's really difficult to gage the fit. BTW, Nike Pro line stuff is extremely fitted, to the point that I usually bump up a size because I don't like my tops to show every freaking flaw.