Friday, September 10, 2010

Store Trip - Try On Reports and Sale Sightings

I went to visit the store in Manhattan Beach today and tried on a few new things but left with nothing. I actually ended up buying a shirt at Lucy. I'm hoping now that they've been bought by Vanity Fair their quality has improved. We'll see.

I see a few new things have popped on loot. The Run Track and Field Jacket was $99 at the store. I was tempted but still think it's a lot for the striped ones. The Commit tank was $39 and they also had the static gray striped one marked down. There were left over Run: Energy tanks for $39. The store had old Groove colors for $79. I also saw a few Define and Stride jackets for $79 (in Angel and Potion). There were a few of the older Run Recharge tanks marked down to $39. I saw the static wave stripe scoop neck for $39. I didn't notice the Gather Racerbacks marked down but $39 from $42 is not much of sale - why even waste the sticker? I didn't notice Journey jackets but they probably got shipped out to another store. There were no super bargains - everything was at the first cut of markdowns.


I tried on the Run: Inspire Pullover. I liked the pink one the best but the static black was nice, too. I don't really care for the bands on color on the upper arm, it gives the top a ski sweater look. I thought the fit was in between the Energy Pullover and the Hills Pullover. Not nearly as tight through the chest as the Hills but not as loose through the upper chest and shoulders as the Energy. Also, the only circle mesh portion is under the arms which is quite a change from the previous pullovers. I don't know how I feel about the power luxtreme patches of color, they seem to add weight to the top. Some people have mentioned they can feel the back zipper pocket rubbing against them so make sure to look at that when you try it on. I didn't notice anything but I tried the top on with Still pants that come up very high on me.



I tried on the Swell jacket. What a joke. I wouldn't even get it on clearance for $14. Awful, awful fit. First of all, it only goes up to a 10 - for what reason exactly, Lululemon? The arms seemed kind of tight even though I was a size smaller than my normal size, I still think they were overly tight. They certainly look tight on the girl in the above photo.  I don't get Lululemon's obsession with tight arms. Doesn't anyone layer clothing in Canada? Especially jackets? Anyway, the jacket was short and poofed up, way up my stomach and it seemed there was no way to pull it down and make it stay down. The zipper was also very sticky and that sharp metal one similar to those used Flashback jackets. Those zippers look cool but they hurt and don't work smoothly. This jacket will go immediately to Loot.


I tried on the static charcoal and black mesh Cool Racerback. I love L-O-V-E the front. The static charcoal looks awesome with the black edging around the neckline and armholes and looks super sharp with black pants. However, I just couldn't get over the lingerie look in the back. I first tried it on with my gray Sattvic bra and didn't think it looked too bad but then I tried it on with a black Flow Y and just didn't like it. I also pretended like I was bent over a spin bike and didn't care for that look at all - all your secrets will be revealed when mesh is stretched over your skin. I hope Lululemon makes more of these static tanks with solid colored edging - it's very cute - but next time use opaque circle mesh in back.



I tried on the Personal Best Singlet. This is another tank that for unknown reasons goes only to a 10. It should be renamed the Make My Boobs Look Sad and Saggy Singlet. It might be a functionally great tank but for $52 it should look attractive on you. If you are large chested the seams will sit too high on your breasts. The twisted back was different but I've got to think that might become irritating when running long distances. Besides, the twist is very narrow so your bra will show.



I tried on the Inspire crop and really liked them. I thought the luxtreme felt thicker than some of my other crops like my Team Spirit. I thought they were very comfortable. I like that they don't have any circle mesh at the bottom. They are a bit longer than I prefer since I work out indoors in a warmer climate but they are a very nice crop. If you considering a luxtreme crop I think you might like these. Some reviewers find these looser fitting than other luxtreme crops. I find the Empowers feel tight (actually the tighest of all the luxtreme crops I've tried) to me so compared to those these are looser. I use my luxtreme bottoms for spin class and don't run in them so I can't comment about them falling down.




I tried on the Modern V-Neck Long sleeve in Classic Sport gray ash. I liked it but for $58 it's rather plain. I ended up getting a similar shirt at Lucy (the Precision Tee  in a heathered navy that is cuter in person)  that has a few more design details - like ruching on the sides and contrast seaming above the bust and across the back - that actually enhance and highlight the female shape (unlike the Modern V-neck!) for $42.


I've been dying to try on the Sage Twist pant but they had been shipped out to another store. I'm having the hardest time catching up with those! I would have liked to get a couple of the new mesh headbands but the store didn't have those so I ended up leaving with nothing. Anyway, I might visit a couple more stores this weekend or Monday now that I know there are new things on markdown. However, I can't think of anything I would get unless it was marked down to the $20 range. Maybe the Track and Field at $50-ish.

15 comments:

Pattybea said...

Today I ordered the community pant in loot for 64. Then decided to head to the store...they had the pant at 59. Thank goodness for smartphones, promptly canceled my order. I think these will be great hiking pants. It was a no go at 98 but for 59--why not.

I too tried on the pink inspire. Felt great but maybe a bit bright. I too am not sure I like all the bits of this and that.

I got talked into trying on the rock out pant--too low for me, and the relaxed fit pant--nice!! The relaxed fit pant is a cross between the groove and the still. I bought it in black--I think it will be nice for travel. There is also a beautiful heathered gray, but my store didn't have it in my size.

Bought my husband a nice looking jacket--the Anywear Jacket. Expensive but looks versatile. We'll see if he likes...

Is it bad when all the educators know your name??

LuluAddict said...

The educators know my name at two stores ;-) so I don't think it's bad, at all. They always ask me what's new and coming in the pipeline since I am always asking them about stuff I've seen posted on the Canadian Facebook sites that hasn't hit the US yet.

I used to have Relaxed Fit crops a long time ago and like the fit. They are very similar to my favorite Extend pants and crops.

Anonymous said...

Went to Fashion Island today after seeing the Gather Racerbacks online on loot...they are marked down to $29 in store. Got one in Alarming. I heard the Spectrum has some for $29 also.

Anonymous said...

My lulu also has the Gather tanks for $29. Also, annoyingly, the vinyasa toques in citron are marked down to $9, and of course I am just outside the 14 day return period for the one I paid full price. Citron legwarmers were marked down to $14. Some Power Y's were $39 (angel, potion). I am hoping to see the Revitalize tanks go into loot - I like the fit but I'm not spending $52 on a run tank when we're heading into fall.

I tried on the pink mesh-backed CRB. I actually really liked it and am considering it. It is rather Lingerie Barbie-ish though.

EMily said...

LOL about "I tried on the Personal Best Singlet. This is another tank that for unknown reasons goes only to a 10. It should be renamed the Make My Boobs Look Sad and Saggy Singlet."

Anonymous said...

I went in for a ss lolo swifly and the pink static crb. You can't see thru the mesh as easily as in the black, and I don't have any senorita pink tanks. I will say this, all the educators @ the store know my name as I'm in there a lot and have taught quite a few classes for them. They are all really helpful and nice. Except one of them today said. "Stop buying so much stuff, you have a problem, stop, stop!". Mind you I haven't bought anything in a while, I go in, but haven't seen anything that has wowed me. I also workout 2x a day and I am an instructor. I am considering returning the 2 tops I bought today and never going back. I just don't think that's the way to treat one of your best customers. Sorry luluaddict, maybe this post should go under quality control. I love your blog and always check here first before going into the store!

Anonymous said...

@anon 6:33 - that is a really terrible comment! I would be contacting the GEC over that. How rude! It's your money and your time - you will spend it how you like. I think someone is a little jealous of you...

Anonymous said...

Community pants were $69 at my store. The varied loot pricing from store to store and online is frustrating. (Though I do like my community pants!)

Pattybea said...

Ah yes...the rude educator... I think every store has one. Most of the people at my local store are really nice but there is this one who tells me I buy too much. Huh?? Aren't you a salesperson??

Lately I have been buying more used than new. The older stuff is so much more interesting.

My husband likes his new jacket--though to be honest he is a jacket freak--it is a nice men's jacket tho... I remarked that it would be nice to have a similar jacket for women. One gal mentioned the Audrey--not for me--don't like the collar. She then added that lots of new stuff is coming for fall and winter. So we shall see.

LuluAddict said...

I think I would definitely pick up a Community Jacket if it went on sale. Has anyone seen it marked down?

Anonymous said...

To each his own ...I tried the personal singlet and love it ... it fits well and there are no "sagging boob" issues.

Michelle Q said...

I was at the Irvine store today and their gather racerbacks were $29. They had plenty of them in Alarming and Static Dark Gray. A couple of them in Oasis too. CRB's in Citron were also $29 and they had a few power Y's in Citron and Citron/Coal for $34. Mindful Shorts were $34 as well.

I would love to get my hands on a Power Y in Potion at the mark down price! If anyone sees one in a 6 can you shoot me an email?

Thanks for this blog, Luluaddict! I, like everyone else, check it before I leave for the store - I feel like I'm such a savvy shopper with all your help!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You guys make me so envious. My Lulu rarely ever has markdowns, & when they do they're in sizes 8+. I'm a bit peeved cuz I just ordered the Citron Toque for fullprice online, & I see here that someone's Lulu has it for $9!!! That really irks me about Lulu & the way that they handle pricing. It only makes you feel bad to find out that you paid more than it's available to others (but not to you) elsewhere. :-(

I hate the salestaff at my local Lulu showroom. They never know anything and don't seem to even care whether or not you buy anything. I LOL'd when they finally posted pics of some stuff that came in, but did all of this photoedit stuff to the pics so that all you can see are the faces of the sales staff & can't make out what the heck the merch is!!!

Anonymous said...

SALES items posted to Loot!

erica said...

i tried on the Inspire in a 4 and 6 and loved the feel of the running luon. the deal breaker, however, was the back zipper. i found that it kept digging into my lower back. maybe if i had a tanktop underneath, it wouldn't matter, but i couldn't see myself jogging in this top.

i hope they come out with better running luon tops.