Saturday, February 19, 2011

Nit: Why Can't Lululemon Put a Store/Showroom/Strategic Partner in North Orange County?

Gorgeous Anaheim Hills - put a store near us!
I don't understand why Lululemon has concentrated putting all their stores, showrooms, and strategic partner outlets in south Orange County. I think one big reason I don't spot a lot of Lulu in my gym is because there isn't a store very close. It's not like there isn't enough money and people in the area. Anaheim Hills has about 60,000 people and an average income of $95,000. Nearby Yorba Linda has a population of 66,000 and a gross income of $102,000.  Villa Park has a gross income of $141,000. I would estimate northern parts of the city of Orange and Orange Park Acres have populations of probably at least 60,000 people and incomes of over $100,000. Brea's (pop: 40,000) average income is nearly $80,000.

Lululemon put a store in Chino Hills. An idea, that if they ran it by me first, I could have told them would never make it. It closed within a year. Lululemon also put a store in El Segundo (population 16,000; income $79,000) which, granted, gets customers from Manhattan Beach (pop. 37,000; income $126,000) and Hermosa Beach (pop. 19,000; income $104,000) but is surrounded by not so chi chi areas. Anyway, food for thought, Lulu.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

common now lulu addict - don't get greedy - can't you already drive to three stores in under 30 minutes? (lol)

Anonymous said...

I agree, some people's nearest stores are like hours away. You are lucky to have 3 - 4 stores near you already.

Anonymous said...

Not feeling sorry for you - I live in California and the closest store is a 300 mile drive. Thank goodness for your site so I can keep a little in the loop of what is going on.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is because there aren't really any "malls" in the areas you mentioned. The options would be Brea mall, the Block, Mainplace in Santa Ana/Orange, and maybe the Marketplace in Tustin/Irvine, which is kind of a stretch as it is close to Spectrum. I could see one in Brea mall maybe, since there is a MAC, Nordstrom, and Banana Republic, but no JCrew.

Anonymous said...

What a joy to see this photo as this is where I grew up, same view and all, and think it would fit in perfectly in the Brea Mall. Now living in NY I am 40 miles from a lululemon yet there are 2 within 15 miles of each other once I get to the mall where lulu is. I think this is another example of more market research needed.

Becky said...

Ha! There is only one lululemon where I live, serving 4 provinces!! I actually consider myself to be very fortunate as it is only an hours drive away from me. No sympathy here, LOL :)

Emily said...

i attend chapman and it would be so much better if there was a closer lululemon instead of having to schelp to one or shop online


http://emilyisblunt.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I actually find that the store in El Segundo sells out of their stock ( of certain items) quicker than other stores in the LA area. I also always find that the store is busy when I go in... So I think they did a good job putting a Lulu in that area. Isn't the OC getting a new lulu in South Coast Plaza now too? That would be a lot of lulu in one area... :)

LuluAddict said...

I know, I am greedy. ;-)

I don't know how well a Lululemon would do at the Brea Mall - the Lucy store that was in downtown Brea closed pretty quickly. But, I think it's kind of weird there are no strategic partner studios in my area that carry Lululemon. Everything -stores and stuidios - is clustered in Costa Mesa/Newport/Irvine.

Katie said...

Ugh! The Chino Hills location was such a terrible idea! It almost felt like an un-researched idea.

I just moved back in with the parentals after finishing up school in SD (where there was no lulu until I left!). I grew up in Rancho Cucamonga (avg income. $85k) and was shocked to hear lulu chose not put put their store at the very very busy Victoria Gardens outdoor mall in Rancho (right off the freeway, new and updated, big, and super visible). Chino Hills is a 20 min drive, but WAY out of the way for anyone who doesn't live there.

My spin studio is walking distance from Rancho's mall and nearly all the women at my spin studio (2nd location in Claremont) and gym have to schlepp at the way to Pasadena for lulu stuff. I mean, I love online shopping and all, but it's so different having a store nearby!

Lulu came and did a trunk show for our spin studio which was great, but its not the same!

I used to live in LA, near Loyola Marymount University and it was awesome having the El Segundo Store and the Santa Monica so close to each other.