Tuesday, January 10, 2012

OT: My New Toy - Garmin FR60

In prep for the Lulu Half Marathon in August I started the Couch to 5K running program last week. I know it's a very ambitious goal but I am going to give it my best. My husband has been running several months now and has come to prefer his Garmin heart rate monitor/GPS over his Polar HRM. He has both the FR60, primarily for the heart rate info (he had a lot of trouble with the Polar strap and/or sensor dropping his heart rate a lot) and a Garmin Forerunner 310XT which he raves about (he loves the vibrating alerts). As my Valentine's Day present my husband got me an FR60, which he said I could start using now. The heart rate data is so much more comprehensive than my Polar FT60. The Polar only gives me a min and max for any workout, I can't see how it changes instantaneously over time. The Garmin gives you a graph over the duration of your workout. The Couch to 5K has you start running 60 seconds and then walking for 90 seconds over a period of 20 minutes and then ramping up the running durations on a weekly basis. I've been looking at the watch on my Polar to time myself but the Garmin will beep at me. I can't wait to give it a try.


11 comments:

Monica said...

You can totally train up for a half by August! Kudos to you for setting that goal. :) definitely sign up for small 5ks and 10ks along the way - it'll keep you motivated!

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! Good luck Caroline!

Grace said...

You can definitely do it! I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving Day and will be running my first 1/2 this weekend. I'd have to say getting my Garmin 310xt really helped me step up my running game.
The hardest part of running the 1/2 for you will be deciding what you're going to wear!

Anonymous said...

For the Garmin FR60, do you suggest getting the bundle so it includes the foot pod? I'm just starting to run too and want to invest in one of these to help track my training.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your decision, Luluaddict! I'm so tempted to fly out and do that half too, it would be so fun!
Enjoy your training, and thanks for the great blog. :)
Dawn

yogibabe said...

Yaay LLA!!! I'm sure you will be great in the 1/2 marathon. Reward yourself with a lulu shopping spree after-now if that doesn't motivate you, I don't know what will! ;) I'm not a runner myself, but I will twist myself into any pretzel pose to cheer you on!

Krista @ Stethoscopes and Running Shoes said...

Great goal! 7 months is totally enough time to train if you're committed! :)
I LOVE my Garmin! I take it on all my runs. I bought the foot pod too, and use it on the treadmill all the time. Best thing ever!
I registered for the lululemon half marathon, and I'm beyond excited!! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your training! But gah! I just got the FT60 for xmas.... however, I just use it for the gym, not running. I was using a lower end hrm and getting a MUCH higher calorie count than the Polar is giving me, which I expected would probably be the case, but it's still a bit of a buzz kill ;)

LuluAddict said...

Thanks everyone! I figured if I wrote it on the blog to the world, I have to be even more committed and won't quit.

@ anon 6:34 pm - My husband got the bundle for me. He has it, too. He says he loves it and uses it when he runs on the treadmill indoors. He thought it's pretty accurate for the small amount of calibration you do to set it up. He got mine on Amazon the other day for a really good deal. Not sure how much he paid though. I can't find a slip in the box it came in.

Anonymous said...

Luluaddict- How is the couch to 5k going? Any advice or recommendations? I am starting it in the near future. I'm sure it will be painful as I'm completly out of shape but hope to enjoy it once it becomes easier to run. thanks!

Ruthie said...

I am doing the Couch to 5k right now and I'm really enjoying it! I did run 1 of week 2 this morning and I feel great! A great resource is the Couch to 5k podcasts from the NHS in United Kingdom. It keeps the time for you and has a trainer who tells you when to run and when to walk, which is one less thing that I have to think about when I'm trying to run. And the music is really great for running! You can download the podcasts from this website ( http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx ) the link is on the right side. I highly recommend it!