Sunday, February 19, 2012

Couch to 5K Week 5 Day 1: Me and Nicki Minaj, Running Partners

I've been taking it very easy since I came down with my chest cold or flu or whatever I had and haven't been running since February 2nd but finally got back on the horse today. I decided to go for it and pick up my running where I left off - Day 1 of Week 5 which is 5 minute warmup walk, run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run 5 minutes, walk 3min, run 5 minutes. I downloaded a few new songs to help motivate me for the run. My two big exercise motivation strategies are buying new lulu and downloading new music. I didn't really have any new lulu to wear for a run at today's temp so it was music for today. The two new songs I liked best for the run were Nicki Minaj Starships and Synthesizers by Butch Walker and the Black Widows. Surprisingly, I felt great on the run. I guess it pays to have well-rested, non-hurting legs. It's been a quite a few workouts since I actually enjoyed running so today was a pleasant surprise. I could have gone longer but I decided to stick to the plan since I seem to bring on aches and pains when I exceed the plan. I want to go to spin class tomorrow morning, too. I've missed spinning - I've only been twice in the last four week and I'm starting succumb to inertia to remain the lazy bum I've been for the last couple of weeks. Week 5 of the Couch to 5K starts to really ramp up the running. The Day 2 workout is run 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 8 minutes and Day 3 is to run for 20 minutes straight. My outfit today was a repeats of previous (so no photo) since I just picked up half-worn stuff off the closet floor: Wunder Groove crops and a Rocksteady long sleeve Swiftly. The temp was 60F and overcast. I should have worn short sleeves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first began running I found the run/walk method didn't work for me. I just ran as far as I could go and slowly went longer and longer until I ran my first marathon without stopping once. When I walked in a run I would find starting to run again would feel harder than when I didn't stop at all.

LuluAddict said...

That is interesting. When my husband started running, he followed the couch to 5K up until about the 5 minute point (where I am now) and then started doing what you did - run a little farther each time. He recently finished his first half marathon in 1:54. At week 7 of the C25K you just start running a little longer each week - 25 min, 28 min, and then 30 min so I'm nearly at the end of the run walk period.

Anonymous said...

You are doing great, and good idea to listen to your body to avoid any injury. I learned to run years ago the same way and everntually switched to continuous running. Love your training posts!