Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Kira Grace Stuff Came Today - Quick Fit Report

Kira Grace Yoga Warrior Stance Tank in Watermelon
I got some items from Kira Grace today. This isn't the full review since I like to wear and wash the items a few times to get a feel on the durability but I thought I'd write down a few quick impressions. The tank is the Warrior Yoga Stance Tank in Watermelon. The material in this tank felt very luon-like. In fact, "vintage" luon - the same thickness and weight as regular luon, with good coverage of lumps and bumps but very soft like older luon. I mapped into the large but I'd say the fit on this tank is similar to a Power Y (the old Power Y not the new light-luon version) - very fitted.  The material is a nice thickness and has good compression (like full weight luon) so it holds you in and smooths over the lumps and bumps. I thought the breathabity/wicking was on par with luon. All in all, this fabric is a winner. The fabric content in 87% nylon, 13% spandex. The built in bra is similar to older lulu (circa 2008 and earlier) with a one inch heavy duty bra elastic. The elastic is snug so provides good support. There are no cups but the bra area is triple-lined for modesty. As for the style, it's very cute but it's pretty low cut in front and through the armpit. Since I am busty (36DD) I had quite a bit of cleavage showing. It's more than I normally show but ok for the weights workout I did this afternoon while wearing it. The straps offer decent support but I had to pull them up as I got sweatier during my workout. I'm actually still wearing the tank right now - it's very comfortable. The Watermelon color is just gorgeous, too. The seams are all flat seamed and the stitching looked flawless. I love the material so much I think I would like to try another tank in it, most likely the Goddess Yoga Sexy tank since that says the material is compressive like the Stance Tank and the style looks like it would offer good coverage.

Kira Grace Goddess Yoga Halter
Kira Grace also sent me the Goddess Yoga Halter to try but in the wrong size. The material in this tank is much lighter in weight and thickness, more like light luon but softer, and the fabric content is 92% nylon/8% lycra. The bra elastic is also made of heavyweight one inch elastic. The purple color reminds me of luluemon's Jellybean. The side seams and decorative seams are not flat stitched but I'm not sure that matters in this tank since the material is so soft.

I have a question into Kira Grace asking them to identify the heavier vs. the lighter weight tanks for us. From the website descriptions it seems that the Stance and Goddess Yoga Sexy tank are the heavier weight (described as "compressive"). From the way the material drapes and the flat seaming in the photos of the Warrior Yoga T-Back tank, I think that is made of the heavier material, too, though the description doesn't state it's compressive. If I find out it is, I definitely want to order that tank since the back is so interesting. If you go to Kira Grace's facebook page you can see quite a few photos of the tanks on non-models to get a better idea of the fit.

Warrior Yoga Capri Legging
I also got the Warrior Yoga Capri Legging. I loved the fit on this - super flattering. The rise was just right, kind of like the Wunder Groove crop. The waistband was nice and wide and didn't give me muffin top. There is a pocket in the waistband just like on Wunder Unders. The crops also fit my bedonkadonk rear quite nicely and did not slide down at all as I did a warmup on the treadmill and stair master before my weights workout. The little cutouts are cute and provide some ventilation. I really liked that they were different than anything else anyone was wearing in the gym. The gusset is triangle-shaped but it sits more forward than lulu's new gusset. It didn't give me CT. The material is similar in weight to that used in Wunder Unders. The content is 88% nylon/12% spandex. I thought the black material was not as soft as the Watermelon material used in the Stance Tank. It kind of feels like supplex nylon a little but softer than that. I'm wondering if it might soften up a little with washing. I thought the material felt very breathable. My husband said he could see the outline of my underwear a bit when I bent over but it wasn't too bad. However, I am pushing the top end of the measurement on these bottoms. If you are within the size range I think the bend-over test won't be an issue. A reader commented that she has no sheerness problems in the Jade version she has in these crops. Another reader commented that she ordered them in black and watermelon and had no sheerness but her friend who is thicker in the rear did. All the seams are flat stitched and flawlessly finished. FWIW, the crotch area didn't develop any sueding or pills during the few hours I wore them. It's not much of a test but sometimes lulu bottoms pill up right away. I definitely am interested in trying another bottoms style.

Kira Grace is made in the USA. I'm trying to collect all the comments you guys have made on this brand. Instructors get a 15% discount and there are periodic sales. I'll have a more detailed review with photos of the construction, measurements, and some reports on how it wears and washes. I think a few of you have ordered some pieces from Kira Grace so feel free to chime in. My initial impression is that Kira Grace is a definite contender for lululemon's customers and if you are looking to stray check them out.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and elegant!! Thank you for the review. My quest for work out clothes has been mixed. I ordered two pair of Zella bottoms( size small-I am a 4 in LLL bottoms). And both were baggy and ill-fitted, but the material was lovely. Soft and not sheer at all. I also received my order from Nancy Rose. It is the "every girl basic tank" in a beautiful pink/purple color called Raspberry. I ordered a 6- my LLL tank size. The top is soft, a perfect length, and looks well made. It is their very basic tank at $40 USD. It was delivered with a nice shopper and a letter about the company(they will provide return shipping for returns). The tank is a little roomy but I will wear if with my new indigo Ebb and Flow tomorrow to Balletone!

LuluAddict said...

Thanks for the info about Nancy Rose. They are the next company I'd like to take a look at. All the tops are cotton but the bottoms have the luon mix - nylon/spandex.

Laura C said...

I just emailed Kira Grace to inquire about the fitness instructor discount. I teach and would love to try a new company out. Thanks for the great review, it really helps make the decision easy to try new companies out without worrying to much about shelling out tons of $$

Anonymous said...

love this review!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the KG reviews! Without removable cups, even if it is triple lined, unfortunately the Kira Grace tanks will NOT do the trick for me :( No matter how thick the lining, removable cups are necessary for full and proper coverage. This is not merely my opinion, but also the opinion of my associates and students in our classes. If KG wants to compete on every level with lululemon, then they should consider a re-design to include removable cups in their tanks. Like the looks of those crops though, very unique.

Anonymous said...

Love the cutouts on those crops. The thicker luon-like material in the top sounds promising. I will be interested to hear which of their tops are made of that.

yogibabe said...

Thanks for the KG review. I've been wanting to try them out, but am hesitant as they are pricier that lulu. Now I can order with confidence!

OT-lots of the bike capsule in WMTM! Just ordered the silver spoon CRB. :)

Kristin said...

Does NAncy Rose offer an instructor discount??? Thx.

3crazykids said...

Nancy Rose gives you 20% off your first purchase if you Like her fb page. I think there was a link to add your email address somewhere on her fb and it takes a week or so to get the discount code. I got the code but am still waiting to jump the gun on purchasing. Her tanks are super cute but expensive!!!

Kelly B said...

These items are gorgeous and your fit review is really tempting me, but I can't get over the prices... I already struggle with spending $52 or $58 for a tank like that at Lulu, so $68 is really pushing it for me... even if the quality is excellent.

Anonymous said...

Those are definitely cute! And I tried the estimated shipping to Canada and it wasn't too bad (6 bucks-ish, unlike Athleta, which was about $35, PLUS about $30 in duty charges!) so I might actually try this brand out.

ptg said...

Hmmm...may have to try this brand out. With the issues at LLL lately I've certainly curbed my spending but my ability to find clothes to wear this summer has dropped dramatically (and I find I'm wearing the same thing over and over and over again!).

Anonymous said...

Definitely a brand I would like to try. I wish their beautiful tops have removable cups because it is a definite must for me too.

H.W. said...

Thanks for the review! I have been looking at this brand since you first mentioned it a while ago. I think it sounds like worth a shot. I don't mind it not having the removable cups since I always take those out of my lulu tops anyway:-)
If I am a 6 in lulu bottoms and most tops what size is that equivalent to in Kira Grace?

Anonymous said...

need...cups....but your description of the Luonesque material on the top sounds very appealing!

LuluAddict said...

@ HW - take a look at their size chart to figure the sizes. You can always send a question to them or write on their facebook page for more clarification. They are quick at responding.

I agree about the cups - it's always a nice option to have even if I use it only occasionally. I thought the support in the built in bra was really good for my mushy mom-boobs. That is a huge stickler with me. If the built in bra doesn't keep my boobs above my elbows I can't wear it but the bra in the Stance Tank was as good as the bra in a Power Y (without the cups). It took Zobha a while for the cup thing, too, but they eventually put them in their tops.

@ Kelli B - I'd subscribe to their FB page, twitter, and newsletter. I've read they occasionally have sales. Someone mentioned they recently had 15% off which brings the tank price down to $57.8. Still high but more in line with lulu's pricing on the more intricate tanks. Since everything is made in the US I'm willing to pay a little more.

Anonymous said...

Lulu addict- thanks so much for the review. Do you think it would be possible to put a slit in the bra liner and insert some lulu cups into the Kira grace tanks or would they move around to much?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this review. I would love to find something- anything- that will help me ween myself off of Lulu.

Minda said...

I'm loving my nancy rose grasshopper crops - so far washing well- wearing well. they are identical to the plank crops - only they end just below the knee.
20% off if you like the fb page and they email you the code.

my pure barre seems to be majorly stocking this brand now with beyond yoga and splits 59 - Lululemon used to dominate their racks but they have all moved out to the discount racks with only one ore two new beachy dot items quickly being discounted. too.

LuluAddict said...

Thanks, Minda. I missed your earlier comments about your Nancy Rose grasshopper crops. How is the fabric? Similar to luon? Is the fit similar to Wunder Unders?

LuluAddict said...

@ anon 10:57 am - They shelf bra is not divided down the center so I suspect cups would move around too much.

Minda said...

grasshoppers have a nice dense material with a bit of a SPRING! Feels more slippery than WU. A bit cool to the touch feeling with a glossiness. Not shiny or sheer. Just dense pretty black. I thought the front pocket would be annoying at first but its not. I like the waist band. nice and wide like wu.

Nancy Rose tops are lush and lovely feeling but too expensive. There are basic tanks and T's for 40$ They feel so soft and nice. but i dont think its worth it. the other cute tops are 72$ish - too spendy - no cup inserts but doesn't show through on me. These are gorgeous on ladies with a smaller bust than mine. i'm 36DD

- regarding athleta- I have a bigger bust so I enjoy their bra cup sizing tankini tops. very easy to find your size and know when you get it - it will fit the girls!!! that is the biggest stressor for suit finding! I practically LIVE in a black athleta halter tankini top with nike tempo shorts for bottoms in the summers for swimming and gallavanting!

3grrls said...

I ordered some KG outfits. The material of the Warrior series is great, like older luon, as you've mentioned. As a petite, I find the straps of the Warrior Stance tank a little too long and tend to have to pull up on them. I would like cup inserts too, I'm fairly small on top (think AA!) and prefer inserts for more womanly definition, lol... not to mention avoiding "headlights". I think I'll try some DIY modification of the shelf bra to fit the cups in. The Warrior capri is great, though a little tight at the calf. Love the Warrior knee pant that has more give, and uses a softer, lighter material but not see through for me. The Warrior T-back is pretty tight through the chest though. I ordered an XS in everything (LLL size 4) but would have preferred an S in this tank. It pretty much mooshes whatever boobs I have!

Anonymous said...

Your mention of the 'older type luon' really piqued my interest. However, the lack of cups along with the starting price point are deterrents for me as well. $68 is a high starting point for a yoga tank from a brand which hasn't yet been as well-established as Lululemon. Where do their prices go from here?

yogibabe said...

Have to give a shout out to Athleta too! I love their swimsuits and dresses. Don't worry about ordering online for the swimsuits. My first order all went back as I was not familiar with their fit (and did not talk to Athleta CSR for advice, my own fault!). But all were exchanged (free) successfully and now I'm good and knowledgeable in regards to what styles and sizes that work for me. The customer service is always pleasant, helpful and so easy to work with. More often than not, Athleta will give me coupons for 20% off for all Gap's online brands (and that includes Piperlime!) for just because. I still prefer lulu for my yogawear (but Athleta's Ananda crop will give lulu's Gather & Crow a run for their money!), but Athleta is my "go to" for swimwear! Their product guarantee is super excellent too-you will not be stuck with an item if that item doesn't perform satisfactorily for you!

Anonymous said...

Nancy Rose doesn't have an established instructor discount program, but will give you a 20 percent discount code to purchase if you contact them and identify yourself as an instructor. Then you will likely get another 20 percent code with your order. I think they are in the process of setting up an instructor program.

I am waiting on my order to arrive!

Nik

LuluAddict said...

I heard back from Kira at Kira Grace. She said because of the comments on this post about putting cups in the bra they will add slits to the bra to put cups in. She also had some interesting info about the fabrics which I'll put in another post but good news.

LuluAddict said...

I bought a bathing suit at Athleta yesterday. They're having a big sale on them now. I have heard good things from many people about their suits. The bra band was quite nice - very supportive and gets the girls up where they should be. I didn't buy an underwire suit but tried one on. That was quite nice, too. The suit material seemed heavy duty and the construction looks really durable. I also had a rashguard in my hand but it was only marked down $9 so I didn't get it yet. I saw a really cute Lole one at Dicks the other day that I liked better.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you reviewing a new brand LLA! Since we all have Lulu as a common point of comparison, it adds a great dimension to the review. Anywho... I ordered a pair of the Warrior crops after seeing the first post. I got an XS in the black and am still debating whether the size is right. I wear 4 in Wunder Unders but 6 in Inspires, luxtreme crops and Seed shorts. Overall I really like the Warrior crops, I agree with LLA that the fabric is extremely similar to luon and the waist feels comfortable yet supportive just like WUs. But there is a slight hint of sheerness in the behind when I really bend over. Maybe a S would eleiminate that? And while I think they look cool, I'm wondering if the cut outs in the legs would distract meet during yoga. So I'm debating whether I should exchange for a bigger size or just keep them for the gym, cardio and hiking, basically any activity where I wouldn't bend over in front of people a lot or be grabbing my calves. Certainly give a thumbs up to the quality and customer service I general.

Anonymous said...

Could you stitch a pair of cups into the tank?

LuluAddict said...

I would think it would be easy to stitch the cups into the bra since it's a double layer of fabric.

LuluAddict said...

@ anon 1:44 pm - from my communication with KG- the colored Warrior crops are slightly different material than the black ones. The colored material is a bit thicker than the black so maybe won't go sheer when you bend over?