Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Today's Shopping Trip - Spintastic!!

I went to the store today to check out all the new spin stuff. Before I started running in January spin was my main activity at the gym and I went to class at least twice a week.  Pain in my ITB made me choose running over spin while training for the Sea Wheeze but I've been itching to go back to class now that I have a half marathon under my belt and got sneakers that corrected my pronation issues.

The surprise of the day was how much I liked the Right Round tank. It's all mesh in the back and at the top of the chest - so it'll be awesome for spin class (I want to try it running, too). I really liked the longer curved hem in the front and back - I thought it's a flattering look, especially from behind. I also like that you can wear your own bra underneath and this is a tank bustier women should definitely check out. I ended up getting the Alberta Lake green and black version, mostly because this is the new color and I don't care for the others as much. I happened to be wearing a Ta Ta Tamer with crossed straps when I tried it on and you can see a little of the straps through the window in the back. I have a couple of other bras I'd like to try this with to see which one works best. I have made a date with myself to debut this tank at spin class on Friday. If you spin, you definitely want to check this tank out. I thought this tank ran TTS and I would say the model in the photo is what a TTS fit looks like.

I also tried on the Spin It to Win It tank in the Heathered Silver. It does have elastic inside the wide straps, just like the old Push UR Limits tank. The straps are more comfortable the the Push, though. The tank is comfortable but I am not a fan of the high neck on me. I like that lululemon has made the body of the tank on the loose side. I think that was/is one of the main complaints with the Push and previous luxtreme tanks - the tight tummy portions of those tanks ruled out people who didn't want to have the thin, shiny luxtreme highlight every ripple and bump in their midsections. I thought the Heathered Silver Slate added some visual slimming with the black side panels. This tank runs TTS and looks nice on bustier women, as you can see in the Creamsicle photo. It has an adjustable bra inside.

I was really eager to try the Top Speed Tank on. This was the one that I thought I would like the best from the photos and the video of the spin ambassador. (That video really sold the tank to me. I loved seeing it in action.) I ordered this one in two sizes in the Black Swan just to ensure I'd get the one that worked best for me. My store only had this in black but was expecting the Creamsicle and Heathered Silver Slate so I am glad I ordered the Black Swan. I have to say I loved this tank on - loved! The neckline is super flattering and the back is very open and kind of sexy, with the curve at the bottom of the opening. The wide straps also have elastic inside for extra support. The bra is not adjustable. If you are busty you will show some cleavage in this tank. I cannot wait until mine comes in the mail. I took my regular size in this tank. When I sized down the bra was more compressive but then I had armpit fat issues. The midsection is nice and loose and even a bit flappy on the woman in the video. The support is moderate and I'll definitely try this on the spin bike to see how it works for me. However, this is also a great tank for me for my low impact weights workouts. If you are looking for a flattering all around workout tank, definitely check this one out.

Interior of the crotch area

Compared to the Run: Take Flight Bike Short (on the bottom)


Gripper "art" on the back half on the leg opening
I also took the opportunity to try on the Spinerette shorts. I really liked them and purchased a pair even though I already have one on order. I might end up taking a pair back, though. I thought I might be able to use these for running but I think gripper strip on the back of the leg will bug me when running. I wasn't able to check that out until I got home and could run around in them. There is no diamond or triangle gusset in these. Instead there is a lining strip throughout the inner thigh and crotch as shown above. These are exactly how my Moving Comfort compression shorts are constructed. I like that they have this reinforcement because my other luxtreme crops/shorts developed pinholes from being rubbed on the saddle in spin class. The other reason these shorts won't work as well for running is that they only have one waistband pocket - no zipper pocket and no waist tie string. The waist comes up high enough and is snug enough you don't need a tie for spin. If you are in the market for spin shorts, definitely check these out. There is no padding in the crotch. I thought these fit TTS.

I also tried on the Spincity Short Sleeve Tee. I liked it and thought it was comfortable but it looks way too casual compared to the rest of the spin line so it doesn't complement it well. The sleeves are also tight. My store did not have the long sleeve version for me to try. The body runs big but since the sleeves run snug I had to stay TTS in this.

I also ended up getting the Creamsicle Pop Cool Racerback. It's a fun color and will look nice contrasted against all my bright Define Jackets. Here is a photo of some of my oranges: Flush No Limit Tank, Flare Cool Racerback, Dazzling Swiftly, and the Creamsicle Pop CRB on top. I don't have any Tang Light to compare CP to but I am dying to know how they match up.

I was hoping to try on the Spinerette and All Sport bras today but my store didn't have them in.

All in all, I have to say lululemon did a great job overall with the spin line. I haven't been this excited about new tanks in a long, long time. If you are a spinner you should definitely check out the new stuff.

26 comments:

Amy said...

Great reviews. Thank you! I'm even more excited about the items I ordered online now.

Anonymous said...

Soooo excited about the top speed top I ordered but hoping I got the rights size. I am mostly a 6... Sometimes 4. Since I am a 4 in the Catch me tank. Fingers crossed I picked the right size!!!! Also ordered several of the others but I still can't get PUmped about the higher neckline tanks.

Anonymous said...

Finally, some great reviews of the new line! Thanks so much, I can finally checkout my items on the shopping cart. :)

JWR said...

Loved your reviews! I spin 4-5 times a week so I was very excited about this new line. LOVED the Top Speed Tank, as well. Bought it in black and will probably come back for more. I was not a fan of the the two other tops, I found the high necks very uncomfortable especially on the Spin in to Win It. Modesty aside, I think it's much more comfortable to have a scoop neck when spinning/sweating like a pig. I didn't even bother trying on the shorts, they looked tiny when I held them up and not suitable for anyone with super muscular thighs. I personally prefer to spin in Turbo Run Shorts, Tall Reverse Groove Shorts or recently, Groovy Run Shorts. I like a little air and not too much compression. The Spincity Short Sleeve Tee is cute but not worth $68. I also purchased the Alberta Lake Striped Power Y which is super, super cute on. Overall, I think the Top Speed Tank is the biggest winner, I plan to wear it tomorrow to see how it performs in action,

LuluAddict said...

@ JWR - I agree about having an open neck for a little air on the chest in class but I thought I'd try out the Right Round for something different. I like the Tall Reverse Grooves for spinning, too.

I think the Top Speed has potential to become a core design. I'm hoping it will also come in Alberta Lake or Tender Violet and I can pick up a second one.

Let us know how it works for you in class. I'm worried I might have too much bounce in the sprints but we'll see.

JWR said...

I was tempted by the Right Round in the Alberta Lake, such a gorgeous color but I just didn't think it would be practical for me.

Definitely agree about the Top Speed's potential. I texted my friend who is a major Lulu addict after I tried it on and said the same thing. It manages to be both super comfortable and extremely flattering.

I think there will be a bounce factor. In the ambassador video, I noticed there was some bounce but I did a fair amount of
jumping/leaning forward when I tried it on (I'm a 32/34 D and go between size 4 and 6, took a size 6 in the Top Speed) and everything seemed pretty secure. But, I'll report back tomorrow after I really put it into action.

Anonymous said...

I'm the one who posted a few about the size 4 / 6 and ordered the 4..... I have a very small chest so hoping the 4 works. I will be very disappointed if it comes in too small and sells out of 6. Can't wait To hear reviews how it holds up in class.... Hoping for more colors!!

Anonymous said...

I also love the top speed tank, I've been waiting for a new flattering run tank style AND wanting something in black swan luxtreme (I find the color loses its richness in luon form) so this was perfect. Tried it on at the store (of course they had no black swan) and ordered it right away, hope this tank sticks around!

Melissa said...

I am soooo geeked for my BS TST to come on Saturday. I also ordered the BS BTC jacket ... it was my birthday yesterday and the upload was awesome! :) Love all the luxtreme tops I gave so I'm excited and glad to hear LLA and the rest of you liked the TST so much in person! I hope it becomes a staple piece and I'd snatch it up in Alberta Lake too. (got the power Y but that is striped so it's not the same).

Liz8 said...

I LOVE the gusset on the spinerette shorts! My underarmour compression shorts have a similar cut, and it is such a great design. I will definitely be checking these out when they hit my store.

Rebecca Sigmon said...

I got to try on the Top Speed tank yesterday, and I was SOOOO disappointed. I loved the front and the level of support. I REALLY loved how the body was loose. I have a super long torso so what disappointed me surprised me. The straps were too long! In order for the straps to lay properly against my shoulders and back, I had to pull down the back of the tank. This caused the inner bra band to lie about 2" below my...ahem...assets, losing all supportiveness. Am I the only one with this problem?? I can't justify the cost of the tank plus the additional alteration expense. This is the third tank in the last month or two where I have found the straps too long. SOOO disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the review. I don't have a LULU budget for the next 2 weeks, I am hoping the spin bra and tank are available when I finally get my budget sorted out.
I will stop at my local store (union square NYC) to try them on and drool.I think they will work for any type of workout not just spin. I am really loving the creamcycle color, it is so happy, I need more happy colors.
The video is incredibly isnpiring.

Anonymous said...

@Rebecca Sigmon:
I haven't tried the TST, yet- I just ordered it. I have a short torso, and I haven't had issues with the straps on any Lulu tank other than sometimes I feel like I could have the straps shortened on some CRBs I have. The CRBs that I have where I feel like the straps are too long, are really ones that I could have sized down in. Have you tried sizing down? The TST does look like its meant to have a low neckline, though, compared to some of the other tanks.

Jess said...

Did your SoCal store have the striped Alberta Lake shorts?

Anonymous said...

I picked up the Top Speed Tank in creamsicle pop today. It is a great color and will be great for my bootcamp classes.

I also picked up the Back To Class Jacket in black swan. I LOVE IT!

I also managed to score a CRB in black swan, but I might return it if a Scoop Me Up tank comes out in the same color.

I'm really happy about my purchases for the first time in a while. :)

LuluAddict said...

@ Jess - The Fashion Island store did have the Alberta Lake striped Spinerette shorts so they are in SoCal. I tend to like to buy black bottoms, though, so I can match them with the most tops.

Anonymous said...

Spin city short sleeve tee looks great... if you're in a softball league (looks super cute on the model, and you have a great body too!), but i would not wear for spin class let alone pay $68.

Anonymous said...

tang light is the exact same color!!!! I have tanks in both and I can't tell the difference

LuluAddict said...

@ anon 12:33 pm - Interesting!! Thanks for telling us.

LuluAddict said...

@ anon 12:33 pm - Interesting!! Thanks for telling us.

Anonymous said...

I didn't like the creamcycle pop in person I will go back to my store to see if the bras have arrived yet and maybe I will get one. they look super comfortable for spin and other things I bet the bra would also work well for yoga.

Anonymous said...

@Rebecca: I have the same problem!! I wanted to like the Top Speed tank but even when I sized down everything was too long on me and straps didn't lie flat. :( I tried the high neck version too but was not flattering on me at all.

Love the striped short on the womens in the pics but I couldn't pull them off...they looked really goofy on me haha.

Btw - ppl should know these spin shorts are NOT biking shorts like pearl izumi, etc--there is absolutely no padding just FYI.

JWR said...

Hi everyone, just finished a pretty high intensity workout in the new Top Speed Tank. I did an interval class with lots of jumping and movement and I'd have to say it held up pretty well. There is definitely a bounce factor but once I stopped moving, everything was still in place. The luxtreme feels great against the skin and the tank definitely moves with your body. I'd say the support is similar to the Scoop Neck Tank.

I'm not sure that I would use it for this class again, just because the support isn't that great for that kind of workout. I think it's probably perfect for spin if you are not uncomfortable having some exposure on top. Overall, I think it's a great tank which is probably best suited for more moderate workouts.

LuluAddict said...

@ JWR - Thanks for the review! I had a feeling about that tank - that it would be a little bouncy for bustier women. I might try it for one of my own spin sessions when I just go into the room on my own and do my own thing.

LuluAddict said...

@ anon 12:05 pm - I agree, the baseball style is too casual. I felt it was a great look for yard work on the weekend but it doesn't exactly show off my new $52 Alberta Lake Right Round tank to advantage.

Anonymous said...

Aargh. The Top Speed Tank is already sold out in Black Swan in a size 6 (of course my size is the only one sold out so far). The pics, plus this review are bumming me out that I won't be able to find it. I live in OC too, so it sounds like our stores may not get that color.

Can't even order something the day after it comes out! Boo scarcity model.